The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an experienced prosecutor to serve as Senior Investigative Counsel in the newly created Office of Special Investigation (OSI). In June 2020, the New York State Legislature passed legislation codifying and expanding the Governor’s previous Executive Order, granting the OAG the jurisdiction to investigate and potentially prosecute incidents when a police officer or peace officer causes the death of a person. The Senior Investigative Counsel position provides a unique and exciting opportunity to join a team of experienced felony and homicide prosecutors, legal support staff, and detective investigators who are working together to enhance transparency, strengthen public trust in the criminal justice system, and engage and collaborate with external stakeholders and partners. This position will be based in New York City and report to the Downstate Supervising Chief.
Qualifications for the position of Supervising Investigative Counsel are as follows:
- At least eight (8) years of prosecutorial experience and prior homicide trial experience are required for this position.
- This position involves substantial writing, therefore candidates must have superior writing and editing abilities.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and team work skills.
- Verbal and/or written proficiency in other languages (e.g., Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, etc.) in addition to English is a plus, but not required.
- Prior experience working with and in diverse communities and doing community outreach is also a plus.
- Availability outside of normal business hours and for periodic travel is required.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
OAG employees serve more than 19 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click on the following link: OSI_NYC_SIC_3353
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on June 18, 2021.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: ag.ny.gov
Application Deadline is June 18, 2021