THE CITY OF NEW YORK
OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE TRIALS AND HEARINGS
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Civil Service Title: Administrative Law Judge
Title Code: 30181
Office Title: Administrative Law Judge
Salary: $150,000 - $161,195
Division: Trials Division
Number of Positions: 3
Work Location: 100 Church Street, New York, NY 10007
Hours/Shift: Day shift - 35 hrs / week
The City of New York’s Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (“OATH”) is the City’s central administrative tribunal, responsible for conducting administrative hearings for a wide range of City agencies, boards and commissions. OATH’s mission, to provide fair and timely proceedings to resolve disputes, is achieved through independent and impartial adjudication, ensuring procedural and substantive due process.
Within OATH’s Trials Division, an OATH Administrative Law Judge adjudicates cases involving different subject matter areas, including civil service law, zoning and land use, housing, licensing, conflicts of interest, city contracts, human rights law, consumer and worker protection laws, and vehicle seizures. OATH Administrative Law Judges are subject to the NYS and NYC Codes of Judicial Conduct, and must maintain the highest standards of ethics, both professionally and personally.
Under the supervision of the Chief Administrative Law Judge, the Administrative Law Judge:
- conducts formal trials pursuant to federal, state, and local law
- prepares written decisions that include a summary and analysis of evidentiary and legal issues
- presides at pre-trial settlement conferences
- participates in and leads special projects at OATH
Appointment by the Chief Administrative Law Judge is for a term of five years.
1. Admission to practice law for at least five years in the State of New York, and five years of recent full-time relevant legal experience gained after Bar Admission, or
2. A satisfactory equivalent.
Please note that this position requires that incumbents must remain in good standing of the New York Bar for the duration of this employment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Exceptional analytical ability, ability to prepare well-reasoned decisions within strict time frames.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Qualities of judicial demeanor, poise, discretion, patience, collegiality, and sound judgment.
- Ability to handle complex trials and issue timely decisions, while producing a highly professional work product.
- Proficiency in Word, Microsoft Outlook, computerized legal research.
- Experience as a litigator or as a judge or Hearing Officer.
Interested candidates should apply online to Job ID 442358 via NYC Jobs (https://www1.nyc.gov/jobs/index.page). Please upload a cover letter and resume, combined in one document, when you are prompted to upload a resume. In addition, a writing sample should be submitted to HROATH@oath.nyc.gov. No telephone calls, faxes, or personal inquiries please. Incomplete application submissions will not be considered. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Applicant must be a City resident within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
For more information about OATH, visit us at: www.nyc.gov/oath
Post: Until filled
OATH and the City of New York are Equal Opportunity Employers