Agency. The Commission on Judicial Conduct is responsible for investigating complaints against judges of the New York State unified court system and, where appropriate, determining to admonish, censure or remove from office judges found to have engaged in unethical behavior. Visit http://cjc.ny.gov.
Clerk of the Commission. The clerk provides integral advisory and substantive support to the 11-member Commission. Specifically, responsibilities include:
• provides background and insight concerning pending matters to Commissioners during meetings;
• drafts memos, e-mails and other documents to assist Commissioners in preparation for meetings; and
• drafts confidential bench memos and other supporting documents to assist Commissioners in preparing for hearings and decision-making.
• conducts legal research on Commission matters;
• analyzes trial records, motions and stipulations; and
• drafts disciplinary decisions.
• supervises filing of decisions and records with the Court of Appeals;
• serves as the liaison between the Commission and referees, attorneys representing judges, and complainants;
• schedules oral arguments and other matters before the Commission;
• supervises an administrative assistant; and
• works with the agency’s staff in support of the work of the Commission.
The Clerk shall also perform additional duties as may be assigned by the Commission.
Qualifications. Candidates must be admitted to the New York State bar for at least 5 years and have a passion for and commitment to public service. Strong candidates will have demonstrated experience in handling sensitive matters with diplomacy and discretion; producing high-quality, well-researched and accurate work product under tight deadlines; and being a self-starter who leverages strong organizational skills to work independently. Appellate and litigation experience is a plus. Selected candidate must agree to background (including fingerprint) check.
Salary & Benefits. $100,000 to $140,000, depending on experience. (Commission intends to fill position at entry level of range.) Generous NYS government pension, health & benefits package.
Location. The Clerk may perform the role in the New York City, Albany or Rochester office of the Commission, and must attend Commission meetings in New York City.
Applications. Please submit your resume, writing sample and cover letter by December 1, 2018, to email@example.com. The subject line of your email MUST include the job code Clerk18. Do not physically mail your application. Selected candidates will be contacted directly by the Commission; no phone calls, please.