To maintain and increase access to the Kings County Surrogate’s Court while remaining in compliance with the Administrative Order of Chief Administrative Judge Marks dated April 8, 2020, Kings County Surrogate’s Court will address the following matters through remote or virtual court operations commencing April 13, 2020:
- All urgent and essential applications are being accepted for filing. Said applications shall be accompanied by an affidavit of urgency. Parties with urgent matters may contact the Chief Clerk at KingSurr-Emergency@nycourts.gov or (347)404-9720, or they may contact the court attorney-referee to whom the matter has been assigned.
- Only essential personnel will be in the courthouse. No person should visit the courthouse without first contacting the Chief Clerk’s Office (347-404-9720) or KingSurr-Emergency@nycourts.gov.
- Until further notice, urgent or essential applications must be filed by first class mail or, if authorized by court personnel, by electronic mail at KingSurr-Emergency@nycourts.gov. Please provide your contact information, including an email address, with your filing. If papers are brought to the courthouse in person after consultation with the Chief Clerk, they are to be left in a drop off bin at the County Clerk entrance.
- Court personnel may contact petitioners or their counsel as needed once filed papers are reviewed.
- The Surrogates and their respective law departments will review their docket of pending cases and schedule and hold video or telephonic conferences in such matters upon its own initiative and, where appropriate, at request of the parties.
- The Surrogates will decide fully submitted motions in pending cases.
- No new non-essential matters may be filed until further notice.
- No additional papers may be filed by parties in pending non-essential matters without permission of the court.
- All matters scheduled to be heard at calendars through June 2020 have been or will be administratively adjourned without date. Attorneys receiving such adjourned dates shall notify in writing all persons cited for said date as well as persons who have appeared in said proceeding. Proof of such notice shall be filed with the Court. Notice of future dates for court appearances will be published in the New York Law Journal and sent by mail.
- No trials or hearings will commence until further notice. This includes 17-A Guardianships and finalizations of adoptions, unless there is urgency to the Trials or hearings that had been adjourned to a date in April, May or June 2020 will be adjourned again.
- No citations are being issued until further notice.
- The terms of this notice are subject to modification as the need arises.