Division of State Counsel
Claims Bureau – New York City
Assistant Attorney General
Medical Malpractice Section Chief
Reference No. CLA/MMSC_AAG_NYC_3167
The Claims Bureau of the New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an experienced medical malpractice trial attorney and manager to serve as the Medical Malpractice Section Chief in the New York City office. The Claims Bureau represents the State of New York and its agencies in the Court of Claims and its employees in State Supreme Court. The Medical Malpractice Section (the Section) primarily defends SUNY Hospitals in Stony Brook and Brooklyn. The Section also defends medical malpractice cases in the State Veterans’ Homes in Stony Brook and St. Albans, OMH and OPWDD facilities.
The Section currently consists of nine (9) line Assistant Attorneys General (AAGs), a Deputy Section Chief, the Section Chief and three (3) Medical Care Representatives. The Section Chief’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Supervision of all section members, including time and attendance monitoring;
• Attending court periodically monitor Section AAG oral arguments, trials and conferences;
• Conducting periodic case reviews with each Section line AAG;
• Attending Section AAG case presentations at SUNY Downstate and SUNY Stony Brook;
• Meeting periodically with line AAGs and the expert witnesses they have retained to discuss case evaluations;
• Responding to inquiries from the Court or a judge’s chambers;
• Responding to inquiries from agency counsel;
• Responding to inquiries from Division of State Counsel;
• Attending weekly Bureau Management Meetings and impromptu meetings called to discuss pressing issues;
• Training and mentoring newly hired AAGs;
• Reviewing and discussing with Section AAGs their Case Settlement Recommendations;
• Appropriately handling Motions for Leave to File Late Claims in the Court of Claims;
• Responding to Court-initiated Orders to Show Cause;
• Reviewing and assigning new cases;
• Personally handling a small medical malpractice caseload; and
• Preparing annual evaluations for each of the Section AAGs.
Applicants must have a minimum of ten (10) years of medical malpractice and trial experience. Experience in the following areas is preferred: litigation in the New York State Court of Claims, supervision of attorneys and support staff, and excellent organizational skills.
Attorneys in the Office must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
How To Apply
Applications are being received online. To apply, please click this link: CLA/MMSC_AAG_NYC_3167; applicants will be taken to the online application page for this position.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment);
- Writing Sample; and
- List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses.
Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or you need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.